The school, in full called Catholic Nursery School for Midwives, started in 1913 on the Akerstraat. It was founded because of the high infant mortality rate in Limburg at the time. One of the initiators was Peter Joseph Savelberg. The school adjoined the former Sint-Jozef Hospital.
The school soon became too small, all the more so because a transitional house for unmarried mothers was added to the building. Jan Stuyt designed new construction on the Zandweg, near the Sint-Elisabethgesticht. This building was opened in 1923 by Queen Wilhelmina.
The complex, in neoclassical style, included an elongated residence building with a gatehouse, and a chapel in the same style was added in 1934.
In 1993 the Midwifery School moved to Kerkrade and today the training is housed at the Academic Hospital Maastricht.
The building, which is classified as a national monument, has been in use as an apartment complex for the elderly since 1998 and is called Parc Imstenrade.
Attached to the building is a plaque commemorating the Austrian literati Thomas Bernhard, who was born there in 1931.